Networking 101Posted: November 22, 2021
New to networking? The skill of building a network of contacts is crucial to finding your dream job. Here is a set by step guide. It’s easier than you think.
- Make a list of everyone you know – not just the people you think might have good contacts – everyone.
- One-by-one, contact them and ask them if they would help you.
- At that meeting, tell them your elevator speech.
- Hand them your resume.
- Ask them if they know anyone you might talk to about your job search.
- If they say no, show them your target list and ask if they know anyone who works at one of these companies.
- Ask them if there is anything you can for them.
- Thank them.
- Using the list of names they gave you, return to step 2 and repeat the process.
Depending on your personality, networking might be fun, or daunting, but it is by far the most effective way of looking for a job that you’ll really love. it is rarely fast. For most of us it is exhausting and frustrating. But it works – consistently.
Over the coming holiday season, the job market will slow down, but the networking season can ramp up. People will be feeling more generous, and they may have more time on their hands. Use this time to work on your network, and when the job market opens in January, you’ll be ready. If you want more help with networking, this might help https://im-fired.com/about-the-book/.